Although early records have been lost, it is known that Sudbury RC, formerly Stour BC, was some time before 1873, but ceased to function during a period from that time until 1883 when in May of that year two meetings took place at the Anchor Hotel in Sudbury, when it was proposed and agreed that the Boat Club be reformed. The Treasurer’s books for the old Club for the years from 1877 to 1881 were produced showing a credit balance of 14/6d (72.5p).
In 1883 the Sudbury Boat Club was already in existence with the headquarters at Nicholls boathouse, which was situated at the head of the stream leading to Meadow Lane (over the years the stream became totally silted up and was partly excavated by the River Stour Trust in 1982).
It was Mr Nicholls who offered to supply to the the Stour Boat Club two four oared boats, one sculling boat, two canoes and two pair oared boats for 10/6d (52.5p) per annum per member, payable in advance. At the next meeting of the club, however, it was decided to purchase the boats, and Mr Nicholls agreed to accept the sum of £45. He also agreed to let the payment extend to two years, upon the money being guaranteed by the Committee.